Etsy shop name: Barbara Beads
Blog: Barbara Beads
Location: Rockledge, FL
1. What kind of materials do you use in your creations? Beads, Swarovski crystal, semi-precious stones, vintage beads, sterling silver and anything that is unique, fun or different.
2. How did you get into this form of art? I saw something in a store that was far outside my price range but I thought, “hey, I could make that.” So I did! That was the beginning over 7 years ago. Since then, my creativity and love of color have taken over and I enjoy using jewelry making as one of my creative outlets.
3. What inspires you? Do you have a plan before you make a piece, or do the materials “speak” to you? Oh everything can be inspiring. Particularly, I find that my friends and fans inspire me. An outfit, a dress, a color can launch a work of art. The beads usually do speak to me. Usually, many of them speak to me at once and bam, suddenly I have a whole necklace done.
4. Do you have any particular influences? More than anything I think color influences me. I love having monochromatic pieces but taking them to the next level.
5. Do you have a certain design style? Fun! Don’t get me wrong, I love sophistication too, but I love to have a bit of fun with my jewelry. Sometimes that means bold color and others it’s a sparkly dangle or something a little more subtle.
6. What is your favorite technique? I love using sterling silver chain and wire wrapping beads onto them for dangly pieces and earrings.
7. Other than Etsy, where could someone find your creations?
For right now, www.barbarabeads.etsy.com is the only place to find my work.
8. What is your favorite part of being a member of EtsyBEAD?
The best thing about being part of the group is chatting with everyone and seeing their work during the bi-weekly promotion.