Name: Nicole Campanella
Etsy shop name: Beadwright
Location: on the beach in Florence, OR
1. What kind of materials do you use in your creations? I incorporate so many different materials in my work. To list just a few, of course glass beads, gourds, just about anything from nature including animal parts. I harvest most of the bone from hunting camps. I was taught to use all things in respect. When creating with hide, feathers, bone, or fur the art is to honor the animal. The same is true when working with drift wood, plants, rocks or shells. I also draw, paint, do leather work, basketry, wood work, I love power tools, a bit of welding.and all of it has beads somewhere in the pieces. I call myself a multimedia artists who specializes in beads.
2. How did you get into this form of art? It started when I was 16 years old selling my embroidery and beadwork on Market street in SF. I have been creating and selling my art ever since. I will be 56 on April 27, so 40 years.
3. What inspires you? Do you have a plan before you make a piece, or do the materials “speak” to you?I never have a plan and I don’t work with patterns. It comes so natural to me. I see or hold an object and I know what I will create with it. The idea may change during the process, however, I never take anything apart.
4. Do you have a certain design style? I don’t have a design style. Every piece I make is so different from the previous piece.
5. What is your favorite technique? Without a hesitation Peyote stitch. I am known in bead circles as “Peyote Woman”
6. Other than Etsy, where could someone find your creations? I don’t carry too many finished pieces on etsy or any other online venue. The reason is that I have clientele that I cater to. I also find that online buyers for my type of art do not see the quality or detail of my pieces, therefore they don’t want to pay the prices I ask. However, you can see some of my work on my website or blog.
7. What is your favorite part of being a member of EtsyBEAD? Hands down the members of etsyBEAD group. I have come into contact and even become friends with some of the most amazing people. Each one an artist along with other skills that make the group a pleasure to be a part of. Other online groups that I have been involved with were actually boring with nothing to do. etsyBead members strive to have something going on all the time. Oh and chat. Our Tuesday night chat is the first time I experienced chat. It was so much fun and everyone made me feel so welcome and at home. Now I don’t miss Tuesday night unless it is an emergency.